How to build a Rain Barrel // Editorial, instructional Illustrations


Here is the illustration in the context of the page...


Close-up of the barrel portion of the illustration





Close-up of the individual steps...


At the beginning of this project, I was given the page layout (sans artwork of course) to fill with the instructional illustration as well as the article to determine the necessary progression of the illustrations. With this piece I didn't want to fall into the aesthetic of the run o' the mill how to illustration especially since GRID Magazine has such a hip and unique feel through out, so after I worked out the super clear black line art with halftones (based on my pencil drawings), i hand painted the shading (blue layer) with black ink and scanned it, vectored it and applied it. Lastly I created the tan background shape and actually erased out the highlights and made the result a reversed out halftone to really push the depth and polish off the style.